TWSIs for stairs should meet the general guidelines described in the section Tactile Walking Surface Indicators.
TWSIs on stairs should:
- Be placed on landings at the top of stairs and on landings where there is an entry to the stair system.
- Be placed at the top of each flight of stairs at landings longer than 2,100 mm that do not incorporate continuous handrails on both sides.
- Be placed at locations where the regular stairway pattern is interrupted.
- Commence one tread depth back from the front edge of the nosing of the top step, extending the full width of the stairs for a depth of 600 – 650 mm.
- Consist of truncated domes or cones that contrast in colour and brightness.